A couple from Buckinghamshire have won themselves a five-night Norwegian Fjords cruise after being named winners of Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines’ short story writing competition.
Jennie Cahill, from Gerard’s Cross, entered the competition in May, which was being run on Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines’ Facebook page as part of its Virtual Cruising programme.
Followers were invited to submit a short tale of less than 500 words, which could be based on a real experience or a work of fiction. More than 250 entries were received, and Jennie’s story ‘The Luxury Robe’ was announced as the winner by Cruise Director Tim Spicer earlier monday afternoon.
Jennie and her partner Dan will join Balmoral’s five-night L2112 ‘Springtime Fjords in Five Nights’ cruise from Newcastle on 1st May 2021. It will be a double celebration for the couple, who will also be able to mark Jennie’s birthday on board on 4th May.
On winning the competition, Jennie said:
– I was absolutely overwhelmed – I never expected to win!
– Cruising is my favourite type of holiday, and the Norwegian fjords have always been on my bucket list. The chance that I might win and have the opportunity to do this on a Fred. Olsen cruise seemed an opportunity too great to miss, so I thought ‘what if?’ and went for it.
– The inspiration for this story really came from past cruising holidays. We often sit in our robes at the beginning and end of the day and they are some of my favourite memories. I was really inspired by the love we have for exploring new places and how precious those sorts of memories are.”
Two runners up will also receive Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines hampers. These were Emma Watson, for her short story entitled ‘Meddling Mothers’, and Mary McDevitt for ‘Memories Last Forever’.
Alicia Coghlan, Head of Marketing at Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, who helped to judge the competition, said:
– All of us at Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines would like to send our congratulations to Jennie on winning the short story competition. With hundreds of entries, it was a hotly contested title, but all our in-house judges were gripped from start to finish when reading ‘The Luxury Robe’.
– We can’t wait to welcome you both on board next May, to showcase the beauty of the Norwegian Fjords and the small ship cruising experience.
– I would also like to say a big ‘well done’ to our runners up, who have Fred. Olsen hampers on the way!”
To hear Jennie’s short story in full, head over to Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines’ Facebook page HERE
Read more news about Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines HERE