The new code will be added to 14 destinations the airline serves in Malaysia, including Langkawi, Penang and Kota Kinabalu, and nine cities in Australia, Cambodia, Indonesia, New Zealand and Vietnam. Seats are available to book from today directly on ba.com, for travel from October 9.
As part of the new agreement, customers will have an even greater choice of routes, destinations and fares and more flexibility between the UK and Asia Pacific.
Travellers will also be able to through check to their final destination and collect their boarding passes in advance. British Airways Executive Club members will gain enhanced frequent flyer benefits and Avios can be used on reward flights, upgrades, hotels, experiences and for part payment, allowing customers to cut the cost of future British Airways flights.
Neil Chernoff, British Airways’ Director of Networks and Alliances, said:
– This codeshare with Malaysia Airlines further strengthens the destination proposition for our customers, giving them more benefits when flying to Asia and South West Pacific. Malaysia Airlines shares our commitment to excellent customer service, and we are delighted that we can introduce more of our customers to their network.”
British Airways offers daily flights from London Heathrow to Kuala Lumpur, one of the world’s largest aviation hubs and a major centre for members of the oneworld alliance.
Captain Izham Ismail, Malaysia Airlines’ Group Chief Executive Officer, said:
– Malaysia Airlines is excited about the increased opportunities this codeshare with British Airways will bring for visitors from across the United Kingdom to explore the range of unique destinations that Malaysia has to offer. This development coincides with the launch of Visit Malaysia 2020, a landmark initiative uniting industry players behind a shared goal of welcoming 30 million tourists to Malaysia in the year 2020, making the upcoming year a particularly exciting time to visit and enjoy the country’s warm hospitality and diverse cultural attractions.”
As part of the agreement, Malaysia Airlines customers will now be able to book seats directly on malaysiaairlines.com to Aberdeen, Belfast, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester and Newcastle via London Heathrow on British Airways flights.
Subject to regulatory approval, Malaysia Airlines will also be codesharing with BA on European points namely Barcelona, Berlin, Copenhagen, Vienna, Brussels, Geneva, Hamburg, Lyon, Toulouse, Paris and Zurich.
The codeshare destinations are:
- Malaysia — Alor Setar, Kota Kinabalu, Johor Bahru, Kuching, Kuantan, Labuan, Langkawi, Miri, Penang, Sibu, Kuala Terengganu, Sandakan, Kota Bharu, Bintulu
- Australia — Adelaide, Melbourne, Perth
- New Zealand – Auckland
- Indonesia — Denpasar-Bali, Jakarta, Surabaya
- Vietnam — Ho Chi Minh City
- Cambodia — Phnom Penh